MUTEK Montréal 2021: Call for proposals
In 2020, MUTEK faced unexpected challenges that led us to create a 21st edition that took place in our usual physical venues, in addition to online through a customized virtual platform. This unprecedented hybrid festival experience brought together live performances, a gallery of digital artworks, and conferences in a universe without borders.
We are thrilled to launch the call for projects for MUTEK Festival’s 22nd Edition, which will once again take place in a hybrid form in Montréal from August 24 to 29, 2021! We are inviting artists from Québec and Canada who are exploring new aesthetic avenues in digital creation and electronic music to submit their projects.
With the intent to continue gender parity and inclusiveness initiatives, in particular with Amplify D.A.I and Keychange projects, this call also specifically encourages submissions from:
- Women, female-identifying and non-binary artists,
- BIPOC artists,
- LGBTQ2+ artists
Nevertheless, please note that this call applies ONLY to Canadians at home and abroad, but also welcomes submissions from foreign artists residing in Canada.
The kinds of work we are especially interested in are:
- Live, original and predominantly electronic music performances
- Live audiovisual performances featuring innovative use of digital imagery and sound
- Installations (kinetic, robotics, interactive or digital) for a gallery space or in the festival’s various venues
- Performances or installations created with AIs
- Projection works (mapping or video installations)
- Interactive, immersive, XR (virtual or augmented reality) projects, or any works using new technology that can be presented in both a physical and virtual environment
- Any projects that push boundaries and challenge conventions in the digital creation sphere, or offer a pioneering concept as part of online distribution
MUTEK is dedicated to presenting live performances; DJ mixes will not be considered.
We strongly encourage applicants to accompany their submissions with audio and video documentation of their projects.
The submission deadline for all MUTEK 2021 proposals is February 15, 2021.
Due to the large volume of submissions, only artists being considered to perform at the festival will be contacted. We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest!
Photo Credit: Myriam Menard