Job offer: Operations Manager
MUTEK is a non-profit organization dedicated to the diffusion, promotion, production, and development of emerging forms of digital creativity and electronic music. Its main activity is the annual presentation of the MUTEK Festival and its professional Forum held in Montréal in August, while the rest of the year is led by various occasional activities. Driven by humanist values such as equity, equality, and inclusion, MUTEK is committed to supporting and promoting the diversity of creative expression in its industry.
Reporting to the Executive co-directors, the Operations manager acts in a pivotal position between departments and ensures the effective management of projects and the operations department (resource allocation, planning, management of timelines and budgets, etc.). This central position coordinates several tasks related to the organization's operations and its implementation :
- Ensures that all departments are united and ensures continuity in the year-round production flow (overview)
- Implementation and management of projects related to the operations of annual events (Festival, Forum) and other activities of the organization (special or punctual projects)
- Oversees the efficient completion of projects
Attention will be given to employment equity in the hiring process to address gaps in the representation of groups considered as minorities, including women, non-binary people, Black, Indigenous, racialized minorities, and/or LGBTQIA2+ communities, and/or persons with disabilities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure effective internal communication between the various departments in order to advance the various projects;
- Ensure year-round follow-up and respond to the needs related to the production of events when the production team is not in place (e.g., follow-up with venues, preparatory meetings for projects, etc.)
- Prepare and take notes for operations department meetings, and as needed, general team meetings (ensure follow-up and continuity of meetings)
- Optimize work processes in conjunction with the operations department (reception, ticketing, stores), develop common tools, implement specifications;
- Hire and supervise operations department staff;
- Provide support to the production team as they come on board;
- Contribute to the completion of reports, surveys, and forms (year-end reports for grants, balance sheets, etc.) ;
- In support of the Executive co-direction, operationalize and implement the various projects: evaluate the needs and resources (teams, budget, suppliers, etc.), respect the MUTEK annual schedule;
- Participate in various committees between festivals (HR pooling, equipment pooling, etc.).
Ticketing and accreditations
- Liaison with the main ticketing provider and the operator networks of other venues;
- Negotiation of venue contracts for the ticketing portion;
- Implementation of ticketing operations (virtual and IRL);
- Implementation of work tools (workbook, monitoring tables, etc.);
- Room capacity and ticket management;
- Maintenance of accreditation lists in conjunction with the programming, hospitality, and communications departments;
- Management of ticket and package sales via website, consignment stores and any other network (configuration and putting on sale pre-sale, 1st and 2nd ad);
- Compilation of sales statistics;
- Ensure the administrative organization of the ticketing during non-festival events.
Reception of the artists
- Supervise the contracts of international and local artists (performance/exhibition) and speakers, including the management of non-resident taxes (explanation and follow-up);
- Management of the festival participants' database (Zone Festival) - forms, configuration, account creation, etc. ;
- Manage hospitality budgets and schedules;
- Hotel reservations (hotel agreements);
- Follow up with border services and provide support with artist and guest visas;
- Management of air transportation and accommodation of artists/guests for non-festival events.
Merchandising and stores
- Managing the production of promotional merchandising in conjunction with the communications department;
- Maintenance of merchandising inventories;
- Set-up of the commerce sales areas in each of the rooms;
- Supervision of store management staff, if applicable;
- Supervision of the record and merchandising store dedicated to the artists.
- Undergraduate studies in a relevant field;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in project management (event management an asset);
- Strong project and team management skills;
- Ideally, experience in a multi-site organization (an asset) ;
- Perfect command of oral and written French and English.
- Leadership ;
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Agile, solution-oriented, and results-oriented;
- Gatherer, collaborator
- Curious and passionate
- Autonomous and great sense of organization, management of priorities;
- Humble, authentic, transparent, and open;
- Sense of responsibility and ability to evolve in the intensity of the event, good management of stress and unexpected events.
- Start date: as soon as possible;
- Full time, permanent position;
- Position based in Montréal (remotely during the Covid-19 pandemic);
- Have the right to work in Canada;
- Salary to be discussed according to experience.
- An open and inclusive workplace;
- A creative and collaborative environment;
- Competitive conditions and benefits;
- Group insurance after 3 months;
- Complimentary tickets to several of our partners' shows/events.
Send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 15th, 2022.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Photo credit: Salome Perli by Bruno Destombes