Job offer: Co-Executive Director
MUTEK is a non-profit organization dedicated to the diffusion, promotion, production and development of emerging forms of digital creativity and electronic music. Its main activity is the annual presentation of the MUTEK Festival and its Professional Forum, which are held each year in Montreal. In 2020, MUTEK distinguished itself by winning the prestigious Grand Prix du Conseil des Arts de Montréal. Its innovative and diversified programming and its commitment to parity and inclusion earned it this recognition. After 20 years of existence, the festival's pioneering mandate has matured and its commitment to the perpetual mutations and variations of contemporary digital creativity remains, with its eyes and ears always focused on the future.
In order to ensure its development and in view of the organization's growth, MUTEK has decided to expand its internal team with a brand new position of co-director. This key role will allow you to use your leadership skills and contribute to the development of the organization.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Co-Executive Director is responsible for the overall planning and management of activities, developing the organization's revenues, and maintaining the Festival's reputation. It is responsible for planning and controlling all financial activities, such as funding requests, budgets, sales, etc. It supervises and coordinates human resources, operations, and administrative activities on a daily basis. The co-director works within the artistic vision defined by his or her counterpart, the co-director and artistic director.
As the bearer of a common vision, the co-director carries out his or her responsibilities, tasks, and duties in collaboration with the other co-director, while taking into account and respecting the responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the other director.
Attention will be given to employment equity in the hiring process to address gaps in the representation of groups considered as minorities, including women, non-binary people, Black, Indigenous, racialized minorities, and/or LGBTQIA2+ communities, and/or persons with disabilities.
Duties and responsibilities
Joint responsibilities in collaboration with the co-director and artistic director:
- Establishes goals, strategies, and action plans to achieve the organization's mission to ensure outreach and operations;
- Ensures the deployment of projects and the development of audiences;
- Ensures the sound financial management of the organization;
- Represents the organization at industry events and/or committees.
- Analyzes, evaluate and implements the resources required to complete each project and ensure the achievement of the strategic plan;
- Optimizes the synergy between departments in order to achieve the organization's objectives and ensures internal communications aimed at achieving these objectives;
- Ensures a presence on the Board of Directors and maintains the relationship with the Board of Directors;
- Facilitates internal team, management, and executive committees and oversees the operations of the organization (schedule - budget - priorities);
- Thinks about and implements the organization's revenue strategies: diversification of public and private funding sources, marketing, business development, etc;
- Develops the organization's operating budget as well as the budgets of the various projects, including the Festival and the Forum;
- Signs contracts, cheques, and other documents for the organization;
- Ensures the control of finances.
- Proposes and implements policies, procedures, and operating methods to ensure the sound management of the organization's human, material, and financial resources;
- Educates employees on the values, objectives, and policies of the organization through orientation and integration activities, social events, and internal communications;
- Sensibilise les employés aux valeurs, aux objectifs et aux politiques de l’entreprise dans le cadre d’activités d’accueil et d’intégration, sociales ou de communications internes ;
- Favorise le développement d’une attitude de travail dynamique et motivée au sein des équipes et s’assure que les employé.e.s atteignent le maximum de productivité tout en respectant les valeurs de l’organisme ;
- Advises on human resources management, identifies needs, and manages recruitment (in collaboration with the people in charge of the various sectors) for the production of MUTEK events by planning the necessary budget within the organization's financial capacity;
- Establishes the parameters for employee evaluations (year-end reviews), enforces them throughout the organization, and conducts them for members of his/her immediate team;
- Proposes and deploys measures to attract, motivate and retain staff;
- Reviews and manages pay scales to improve competitiveness in the marketplace;
- Ensures that timelines and priorities are established for each project.
Public and private financing and commercialization
- He or she is responsible for the organization's financing strategies and actions, whether private or public, and sees to their development;
- Negotiates, drafts, verifies, and signs the organization's contractual agreements with partners, governments, employees, clients, suppliers, artists, and cultural organizations and manages these relationships;
- Acts as MUTEK's representative with government officials and sponsoring partners;
- Oversees the development of sales tools (pitch deck, business plan, export plan, etc.);
- Ensures monitoring of the funded projects: makes sure to involve the necessary people and resources in order to carry out the projects while respecting the criteria and obligations of the funding received;
- Development, sales, negotiation, and follow-up with sponsoring partners;
- Establishes marketing strategies: price, value-added, etc.
Profile and knowledge
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field;
- At least 5 years of experience in the management of a cultural organization, ideally in event management;
- Very good knowledge of the Quebec cultural milieu, and, as an asset, of Canada;
- Knowledge of and/or interest in the arts and digital creative industries;
- Achievements in public funding and private sponsorships, a solid network established
- Knowledge of event marketing;
- Strong skills in financial management, human resources management, project management, etc;
- Achievements in managing efficient and effective teams;
- Perfect command of French and English, both oral and written; knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
- Leadership skills ;
- Agile, solution-oriented, and results-driven;
- People gatherer and collaborator;
- Curious and passionate;
- Autonomous with strong organizational skills and ability to manage priorities;
- Humble, authentic, transparent, and open;
- Sense of responsibility and ability to evolve in the intensity of the event, good management of stress and unexpected events.
- Start date: February 2022
- Full time, permanent position
- Position based in Montreal (telecommuting at the moment because of the Covid-19 pandemic)
- Have the right to work in Canada
- Salary to be discussed according to experience
- Group insurance after 3 months
Send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. Only successful candidates will be contacted.